In our property investment seminars, we often focus on rental yields and how to generate a good monthly income from your buy-to-let property. However, capital growth is just as important. If your property rises in value quickly, you’ll be able to sell it for a profit, then reinvest the money into growing your portfolio, which is the best way to maximise ROI.
As with any house purchase, there are plenty of ways to add value to your buy-to-let property for sale, providing you’ve got the vision, and are willing to put in the time and effort. Here are just a few ways to boost the value of your house.
Property Seminar Tips – Adding Value to Your Buy-to-Let
• Create a ‘super-kitchen’. According to experts, if you knock through the wall separating the kitchen and living room, and create an impressive, open-plan kitchen / living space, you’ll add as much as £50,000 to the value of your property. This is especially the case if you’re blessed with a buy-to-let with high ceilings and spacious dimensions.
• Bi-fold doors. The trend for bi-fold doors shows no signs of abating, and they don’t cost too much to install either. It’s a fabulous way of making the garden feel like a part of the home, and the increased size of the windows lets light flood through the living space.
• Converting the attic. It’s no secret that attic conversions add a lot of value to your property; not least because they create an extra bedroom or an area for a home office. Because you’re effectively adding an extra storey onto the house, it also makes the property feel far more spacious, and this will be reflected in the price that buyers will pay for it.
• Incorporate clever storage solutions. Storage is always a concern – for homebuyers and tenants alike. There’s a multitude of ways you can incorporate storage solutions into the house. For example, that space under the stairs can be converted into a useful cupboard, or you can add shelving. Alcoves can also be easily converted into cupboards. We’ve even seen drawers embedded into the stairs themselves, which is a really ingenious storage solution!
• Strip the dodgy carpets. Buyers will pay a premium for properties that look high-end. The easiest way to achieve this is to ditch all the faded, grubby carpets, and varnish the floorboards underneath. If you don’t have floorboards, don’t worry – there are plenty of wooden flooring systems available, in a range of different finishes.
• Include some ‘wow’ features. Sometimes, just adding one amazing design feature to a house can send its market value rocketing. For example, exposed brickwork, an impressive Victorian fireplace or original beams – anything of this nature will instantly give the property unique appeal.
The Buy2Let Shop
Looking for buy-to-let properties for sale which offer good rental potential, plus the chance to profit from capital growth? Talk to The Buy2Let Shop. Our team of property investment agents are on hand to find the perfect house or apartment to suit your budget – with a view to developing a successful property portfolio in the future. To find out more, visit The Buy2Let Shop website today.