Unsurprisingly, the property market slows considerably over Christmas. Most people (buyers and sellers alike) are more focused on enjoying the festive period than their properties, and estate agents prefer to wait until the New Year, when things start picking up again.
But believe it or not, purchasing a buy-to-let property for sale in the lead-up to Christmas can be a really canny move. Because demand is lower, sellers are usually happier to accept a cheeky offer; plus, there’s less competition from other buyers.
If you’re thinking of investing in a UK property this December, here are a few tips to make the experience as smooth and straightforward as possible.
UK Property Investment at Christmas
- Arrange a mortgage in advance. Mortgage lenders are likely to be shut over the Christmas break, so it’s important to get everything arranged before then, or risk delaying until the New Year.
- Sort out the utilities. Likewise, if you want your property to be up and running for tenants in January, you’ll need to sort out your utilities providers as swiftly as you can. Comparison websites are a great way to ensure you’re getting a good price.
- Postpone furniture buying. If you’re renting the property out part- or fully furnished, we recommend waiting until January to purchase the furniture (and possibly DIY materials, fixtures and fittings too). The reason? The January sales are the ideal opportunity to find bargains; saving money and boosting your ROI in the process.
- Create a marketing plan. Plenty of tenants are searching for accommodation in the New Year, so it’s imperative to get off to a flying start as soon as you possibly can. If you’re working with a letting agent, they should be able to take charge of the marketing for you; but if you’re going it alone, you’ll need to have a solid plan in place, detailing how you’re going to get your buy-to-let property in front of the right people.
- Attend a property investment seminar. Reputable property seminars are usually free to attend, and are jammed full of useful tips and insight into being a landlord. It’s a great way to get up to speed quickly, without spending a penny.
- Focus on the photos. Taking photos of the property for marketing purposes is always trickier in the winter months, as the lighting is often poor. If possible, wait for a sunny day, and invest in the services of a professional photographer, who will help make your house or apartment to let look amazing.
Investing in UK Property with The Buy2Let Shop
Whatever time of year you’re looking to purchase a buy-to-let property for sale, we can help. Our team of expert property investment agents are on hand to assist with every aspect of the purchasing process – from identifying the ideal investment property in the UK, to sealing the deal at a profitable price.
We also offer help with buying a house at auction, and our regular free property seminars are a great way to brush up on your industry knowledge and get to grips with being a landlord. For further information, simply visit The Buy2Let Shop website today.